Take a guided tour of the night sky.
Morehead hosts free skywatching sessions every month (weather-permitting). Morehead educators and CHAOS members (from Chapel Hill Astronomical & Observational Society) bring telescopes and guide you through fun observations of stars, planets, moons, nebulae and other celestial objects. You might even see a few meteors!
It’s hard to see stars through a cloud cover, so Morehead cancels skywatching sessions if the weather forecast predicts stormy or cloudy conditions. Cancellation decisions are made as soon as possible — at least two or three hours in advance. To see any cancellation notices, check Morehead’s Twitter and Facebook news feeds. You can also call Morehead Guest Relations at 919-962-1236 to check on the status of any skywatching session.
Skywatching sessions are very informal and family-friendly. Each session is scheduled for two hours, but you can arrive and leave at any time during the session. During the evening, you might do any of these things:
- Peek through telescopes for up-close views of celestial objects
- Take a laser-guided “star tour” of the night sky
- Learn where to look for major constellations
- Listen to legends told by ancient cultures about the constellations
- Ask the astronomers for answers to all the astronomy questions you have!
Still have questions about Skywatching? Check out our Skywatching FAQs.
Please note: Because of Earth’s rotation, some sky objects may be visible during only part of a skywatching session, depending on the times they rise and set. Click here for our current star chart.
Morehead skywatching sessions are a variety of site throughout the Triangle region.
Currently our main sites are:
- Little River Regional Park, off Guess Road at the Durham/Orange county border (click here for directions) and
- Dorothea Dix Park located in downtown Raleigh, near Umstead Dr. (Click here for directions).
Skywatching sessions may also be hosted at Stagville State Historic Site, The Durham Hotel, and other special locations. Please see the calendar events for location details.
To request a skywatching session at another location, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.