Plan a Field Trip
Thank you so much for your interest in planning a field trip to the newly renovated Morehead Planetarium & Science Center!
Some COVID-19 limitations do remain in place at Morehead–namely, requirements around masks, and maximum number of guests per group. Please see below for complete details about COVID-19 limitations.
Field trip groups have visited Morehead Planetarium & Science Center for more than 65 years.
Morehead knows how to bring science to life, with exciting and inspiring programs designed to engage young explorers.
Our programming aligns with North Carolina Essential Standards, ensuring that your field trip will enhance your classroom instruction. Morehead’s Reservations team works closely with you, so your field trip will be a great educational experience.
Students/Children: $9.50 + tax*
Adults: $11.50 + tax*
1 FREE adult admission per 10 students.
Price includes admission to museum exhibits and one program of your choice.
$4.00 per adult and $3.00 per student, for each additional same-day program.
Review all of your field trip options in our 2021-22 Teacher’s Guide here. If you need help, we can help you customize your trip and choose the best programs for your class.
Questions? Check out the Field Trip FAQs.
Field Trip Pricing Eligibility
The above pricing is applicable to eligible public, charter, private, and home schools only. Non public schools (private schools and home schools) must be actively registered with the NC Division of Non Public Education and be listed on the appropriate directory of private schools or home schools available from their website. Private or home schools not registered with the NC Division of Non Public Education are not eligible for the above rates and may book reservations for these programs at the group rates listed on our Group Visits page.
Field Trip Minimums
Field trip reservations must meet a $150 pre-tax minimum. Reservations with too few guests to meet the minimum will have a small fee added to their reservation to meet the $150 minimum. Some programs, such as Enrichment Experiences, and Launch Lab classes may require at least 10 students for the program’s activities, and may not be available for groups with less than 10 students.
A tax of 7.5% for state and local sales & use for admissions is applicable to all tickets.
Reservations are available for any size group, but must meet a $150 minimum. We can currently accommodate groups up to 120 guests/group.
Reservations must be requested (and confirmed) at least 2 weeks in advance. We are unable to accommodate reservation requests less than two weeks in advance.
- Complete an online request form above to start the reservations process. We are currently accepting reservations for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 on Thursdays and Fridays ONLY starting October 7. Groups wishing to visit on a weekend may purchase tickets online through our calendar when they go on sale.
- Morehead’s Reservations team will then contact you to discuss your reservation options and help complete your reservation.
Please call our Reservations Team at 919.962.1236 if you need additional assistance.
At this time, the following limitations apply to school field trips and large group reservations:
- We are currently only able to book visits for Schools and large groups on Thursdays and Fridays only starting October 7, and reservations must meet a $150.00 minimum.
- Maximum group size is 120 guests, including teachers or chaperones. Groups over 120 may require multiple programs or visits on multiple days.
- To help ensure social distancing during field trips, the building will be closed to to the public and only open to field trip groups on Thursdays and Fridays.
- The same precautions on our re-opening page apply to school groups and other large groups. All guests must wear face coverings while inside the building, regardless of vaccination status.
- Balances for reservations are due by 5 p.m. on or before 3 business days prior to the visit date.
- Payments are accepted via business check (no personal checks please), or by VISA/Discover/MasterCard.
- North Carolina public schools (K-12, charter, and college/universities), NC state agencies, and/or NC county agencies such as school districts, libraries, etc. may receive net-30 payment terms upon request. Contact our Reservations Team with questions.
- Every student and adult (educators, parents and bus drivers) in your group requires admission, and must be counted in your group reservation numbers.
- Children or adults who have a Morehead membership cannot use their member benefits for admission during a school field trip or other group visit.
Private Planetarium Shows*
- Students/Children: $9.95
- Adults: $10.95
- Minimum charge of $500 must be met for any private show reservation.
- Tax of 7.5% is applicable to private shows.
*Only available after 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, and non business hours on weekends
For field trip reservations, it is Morehead’s policy to communicate directly with the school or group visiting in addition to the third party or charter operator. Please include the name of the school and a contact person at the school who we can copy on all email communications.
If a third party arranges a field trip visit, they are financially responsible for the visit, and payment is required two weeks in advance of the visit. “Third party” is defined as a company, organization or individual (charter operator, travel agent, etc.) who is not an employee of the school or group.
Thorough the generous gifts of many donors, Morehead is able to offer field trip subsidies, or scholarships, to schools meeting certain criteria. You can learn more about available scholarship programs and criteria for each by visiting this page.
If you would like to request a scholarship for your reservation, you will be able to do so when you make your online request. If you have already booked a reservation and would like to be considered for a scholarship, contact our Reservations Manager at 919.843.3522 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for Spring 2020 are being offered on a first-come, first-serve basis, and funds are very limited.
Morehead does not coordinate lunch orders as an add-on for field trip groups; however, schools are welcome to place catered lunch orders with area vendors. Please contact the Reservations Team at 919.962.1236 for additional information.