Plan a Field Trip
Thank you so much for your interest in planning a field trip to the newly renovated Morehead Planetarium & Science Center!
Sharing the love of science for more than 65 years
Morehead knows how to bring science to life, with exciting and inspiring programs designed to engage young explorers.
Our programming aligns with North Carolina Essential Standards, ensuring that your field trip will enhance your classroom instruction. Morehead’s Reservations team works closely with you, so your field trip will be a great educational experience.
Students/Children: $10.50 + tax*
Adults: $12.50 + tax*
1 FREE adult admission per 10 students.
Price includes admission to museum exhibits and one program of your choice.
$5.00 per adult and $4.00 per student, for each additional same-day program.
Adults will not be charged for Enrichment Experience classes or Launch Lab
Review all of your field trip options in our 2022-23 Teacher’s Guide (to be published). If you need help, we can help you customize your trip and choose the best programs for your class.
Questions? Check out the Field Trip FAQs.
Field Trip Pricing Eligibility
The above pricing is applicable to eligible public, charter, private, and home schools only. Non public schools (private schools and home schools) must be actively registered with the NC Division of Non Public Education and be listed on the appropriate directory of private schools or home schools available from their website. Private or home schools not registered with the NC Division of Non Public Education are not eligible for the above rates and may book reservations for these programs at the group rates listed on our Group Visits page.
Field Trip Minimums
Field trip reservations must meet a $150 pre-tax minimum. Reservations with too few guests to meet the minimum will have a small fee added to their reservation to meet the $150 minimum. Some programs, such as Enrichment Experiences, and Launch Lab classes may require at least 10 students for the program’s activities, and may not be available for groups with less than 10 students.
A tax of 7.5% for state and local sales & use for admissions is applicable to all tickets.
Reservations are available for any size group, but must meet a $150 minimum. We can currently accommodate groups up to 120 guests/group.
Reservations must be requested (and confirmed) at least 2 weeks in advance. We are unable to accommodate reservation requests less than two weeks in advance.
- Complete an online request form above to start the reservations process. We are currently accepting reservations Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays only. Weekend availability is extremely limited, see the section on Weekend Reservations for more info.
- Morehead’s Reservations team will then contact you to discuss your reservation options and help complete your reservation.
Please call our Reservations Team at 919.843.7993 if you need additional assistance.
At this time, the following limitations apply to school field trips and large group reservations:
- We are currently only able to book visits for Schools and large groups on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Reservations booked on weekdays must meet a $150.00 minimum.
- Maximum group size is 120 guests, including teachers or chaperones. Groups over 120 may require multiple programs or visits on multiple days.
- While masks are not required, we encourage school groups to wear a mask when visiting.
- Balances for reservations are due by 5 p.m. on or before 3 business days prior to the visit date.
- Payments are accepted via business check (no personal checks please), or by VISA/Discover/MasterCard.
- North Carolina public schools (K-12, charter, and college/universities), NC state agencies, and/or NC county agencies such as school districts, libraries, etc. may receive net-30 payment terms upon request. Contact our Reservations Team with questions.
- Every student and adult (educators, parents and bus drivers) in your group requires admission, and must be counted in your group reservation numbers.
- Children or adults who have a Morehead membership cannot use their member benefits for admission during a school field trip or other group visit.
Private Planetarium Shows*
- Students/Children: $9.95
- Adults: $10.95
- Minimum charge of $500 must be met for any private show reservation.
- Tax of 7.5% is applicable to private shows.
*Only available after 4:30 p.m. on weekdays, and non business hours on weekends
Morehead has a limited capacity to accommodate schools and non-school groups on weekends due to differences in operations on weekends vs. weekdays. Both schools and non-school groups are able to book reservations on weekends with the following limitations:
- A limited number of tickets in each weekend show are available for purchase by schools or non-school groups. Remaining tickets are not available for schools or non-school groups and are only available to the general public once tickets are on-sale starting 2 weeks prior. Max tickets available for group sales to Planetarium Shows is 50 total. Tickets to science stage programs are not reservable on weekends. Seating is first-come, first-serve for groups and the general public to those programs.
- Weekend reservations cannot be scheduled less than 2 weeks prior to the visit. Groups wishing to visit in less than 2 weeks may purchase tickets online at the general public rate. Group and school rate discounts are not available less than 2 weeks in advance.
- Weekend reservations must be paid for at the time tickets are reserved. Schools and universities (public, charter, and private schools) are eligible to hold reservations without payment up to 2 weeks prior to the show, but payment must be made 2 weeks in advance. Ticket sales are final and are non-refundable.
- Weekend groups travelling in buses or oversize vehicles may drop off in the parking lot, but must park elsewhere and return later to pick groups up after their visit. We do not offer shuttle service for bus drivers on weekends.
- Similar to weekday programs, weekend shows and programs start promptly on-time. We are unable to late-seat large groups once the show has begun since this would disrupt the show. Morehead does not offer refunds for late groups.
- Morehead reserves the right to limit availability for school and non-school group reservations on certain weekends throughout the year due to impacts on operations that further limit our ability to support large groups of visitors on those days.
For field trip reservations, it is Morehead’s policy to communicate directly with the school or group visiting in addition to the third party or charter operator. Please include the name of the school and a contact person at the school who we can copy on all email communications.
If a third party arranges a field trip visit, they are financially responsible for the visit, and payment is required two weeks in advance of the visit. “Third party” is defined as a company, organization or individual (charter operator, travel agent, etc.) who is not an employee of the school or group.
Thorough the generous gifts of many donors, Morehead is able to offer field trip subsidies, or scholarships, to schools meeting certain criteria.
If you would like to request a scholarship for your reservation, you will be able to do so when you make your online request. If you have already booked a reservation and would like to be considered for a scholarship, contact our Reservations Manager at 919.843.3522 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests are being offered on a first-come, first-serve basis, and funds are very limited.
Morehead does not coordinate lunch orders as an add-on for field trip groups; however, schools are welcome to place catered lunch orders with area vendors. If you plan to have lunch delivered, please inform our reservations team prior to your visit.