Thank you so much for your interest in planning a group visit to Morehead Planetarium & Science Center.
Our group visit calendar for weekdays through May 2022 is full, and new requests are currently being waitlisted pending updated availability.
We will begin booking Summer 2022 reservation requests on Thursday 4/7/22.
We are not currently booking visits for Fall 2022 or Spring 2023. Check back in July for an update on Fall/Spring availability.
Bringing a group of 10 or more people?
Whether you’re bringing a large family, adult group, Scout group, or daycare, you can purchase tickets at a group rate in advance!
For non-school groups looking to visit Morehead, you can request a group reservation using our online request form below.
Please visit the Field Trip page here.
- Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only, by reservation.
- Group size limit: 120
- Pricing includes admission to exhibit spaces and one program of your choice.
- Weekend reservations available, but subject to availability and additional limitations.
$11.95 + tax
$13.95 + tax
$3.00 per student
$4.00 per adult
A tax of 7.5% for state and local sales & use for admissions is applicable to all tickets for planetarium shows only
- We are currently only accepting group reservations on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, as availability permits
- Reservations in Spring 2022 occuring on days when the planetarium is closed to the public must meet a $150.00 minimum.
- Private shows during non-business hours will still be priced as listed in the Payment Terms and Policies tab.
Please request a reservation for your group of 10 or more people using the request a visit button on this page.
Any non-school group of 10+ guests may book reservations at the group discount on weekdays to programs of their choice at a discount as availability permits. At this time, group reservations are available on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays only.
Reservations must be requested (and confirmed) as far in advance as possible, but no more than 2 weeks in advance. We are unable to accommodate reservation requests less than two weeks in advance.
From mid-September through May, the weekday program schedule is not pre-determined, and groups are welcome to choose their programs as availability permits. Reservations for this period typically open in early summer.
During the summer (June through August) weekday programs are pre-scheduled, and groups may choose from shows on the pre-made schedule. Reservations for Summer typically open in mid-late spring.
After we receive your request, Morehead’s reservations team will contact you to discuss your reservation options and help complete your reservation within a few days.
Please call our Reservations Team at 919.843.7993 if you need additional assistance.
- Balances for reservations are due by 5 p.m. on or before 3 business days prior to the visit date.
- Payments are accepted via business check (no personal checks please), or by VISA/MasterCard/Discover.
- North Carolina state agencies, and/or NC county agencies such as school districts, libraries, etc. may receive net-30 payment terms upon request. Contact our Reservations Team with questions.
- Every child and adult (educators, parents and bus drivers) in your group requires a ticket, and must be counted in your group reservation numbers.
- Children or adults who have a Morehead membership cannot use their member benefits for admission during a school field trip or other group visit.
Private Planetarium Shows*
- Students/Children: $9.95
- Adults: $10.95
- Minimum charge of $500 must be met for any private show reservation.
- Tax of 7.5% is applicable to private shows.
*Availability varies and exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Morehead reserves the right to decline requests. Private show reservations include a 1 hour planetarium show, and do not include exhibits or other programs.
Morehead has a limited capacity to accommodate schools and non-school groups on weekends due to differences in operations on weekends vs. weekdays. Both schools and non-school groups are able to book reservations on weekends with the following limitations:
- A limited number of tickets in each weekend show are available for purchase by schools or non-school groups. Remaining tickets are not available for schools or non-school groups and are only available to the general public once tickets are on-sale starting 2 weeks prior. Max tickets available for group sales to Planetarium Shows is 50 total. Tickets to science stage programs are not reservable on weekends. Seating is first-come, first-serve for groups and the general public to those programs.
- Weekend reservations cannot be scheduled less than 2 weeks prior to the visit. Groups wishing to visit in less than 2 weeks may purchase tickets online at the general public rate. Group and school rate discounts are not available less than 2 weeks in advance.
- Weekend reservations must be paid for at the time tickets are reserved. Ticket sales are final and are non-refundable.
- Weekend groups travelling in buses or oversize vehicles may drop off in the parking lot, but must park elsewhere and return later to pick groups up after their visit. We do not offer shuttle service for bus drivers on weekends.
- Similar to weekday programs, weekend shows and programs start promptly on-time. We are unable to late-seat large groups once the show has begun since this would disrupt the show. Morehead does not offer refunds for late groups.
- Morehead reserves the right to limit availability for school and non-school group reservations on certain weekends throughout the year due to impacts on operations that further limit our ability to support large groups of visitors on those days.
For group reservations, it is Morehead’s policy to communicate directly with the group visiting in addition to the third party or charter operator. Please include the name of the organization and a contact person who we can copy on all email communications.
If a third party arranges a group visit, they are financially responsible for the visit, and payment is required two weeks in advance of the visit. “Third party” is defined as a company, organization or individual (charter operator, travel agent, etc.) who is not an employee of the organization or group.
Group visit reservations on weekdays when Morehead Planetarium is closed to the public (spring 2022 only) must meet a $150 pre-tax minimum. Reservations with too few guests to meet the minimum will have a small fee added to their reservation to meet the $150 minimum. Some add-on programs, such as Enrichment Experiences, and Launch Lab classes may require at least 10 children for the program’s activities, and may not be available for groups with less than 10 children.