Field trip groups have been visiting Morehead Planetarium and Science Center for more than 60 years. Morehead knows how to bring science to life, with exciting and inspiring planetarium shows, Science Stage shows and Discovery Classes.
Our programming aligns with North Carolina Essential Standards, ensuing that your field trip will enhance your classroom instruction. Morehead’s Guest Relations team works closely with you, so your field trip will be a great educational experience.
There will be ongoing renovations in parts of our facility until early Spring 2020. As a result the following programs, exhibits, or spaces will not be available during certain periods:
- Discovery class programs will be unavailable until Tuesday, November 11.
- Science Stage programs will be unavailable for field trip reservations until February 2020 at the earliest.
- Exhibits will be unavailable for field trip reservations for the 2019-20 school year. Exhibits are expected to return in late summer or early fall 2020.
Planetarium Shows, and Discovery Classes will be the only programs available in Fall 2019 and January 2020.
Reservations are available for any group of 10 or more people. We can accommodate groups of most any size, but depending on the total attendance and number of programs your group wishes to see, we may not be able to accommodate the entire group in one day.
Reservations must be requested (and confirmed) at least 1 week in advance. We are unable to accommodate reservation requests less than a week in advance.
- Complete one of the online request forms above to start the reservations process. You can request reservations for the below timeframes:
- Summer 2019 reservations: for visits from 6/18/19 - 8/25/19.
- We will be closed for renovation from Saturday 5/4/19 - Monday 6/17/19
- Groups will be able to request 2019 Summer reservations starting Monday, March 4.
- School Year 2019-20 Reservations: for visits from 9/10/19 - 5/29/19
- Science Stage programs unavailable until 2/3/20 due to ongoing renovations.
- Exhibits will be unavailable until early spring 2020 due to ongoing renovations.
- Summer 2019 reservations: for visits from 6/18/19 - 8/25/19.
Morehead's Reservations team will then contact you to discuss your reservation options and help complete your reservation.
You are welcome to call Morehead’s Reservations team at 919-962-1236 with any questions.
Our pricing for group reservations is as follows:
- First Program: Students/Children $6.25; Adults $7.25 (planetarium shows or Science Stage shows or Discovery Class). Prices are pre-tax.
- Multiple Program Discount: $4.00 per person (for each additional same day program) . Prices are pre-tax
- Tax: A tax of 7.5% for state and local sales & use for admissions is applicable to all tickets for planetarium shows only. Tickets for science stage programs or discovery classes are exempt from sales & use tax. Our reservations team can share the pricing/person with tax after your reservation has been booked.
- Children or adults included in a Morehead membership cannot use their membership benefits for admission during a school field trip or other group visit.
Every student and adult (educators, parents and bus drivers) in your group requires a ticket, and must be counted in your group reservation numbers. We provide one free adult ticket for every 10 students.
Private Planetarium Shows:(only available after 4:30 PM on weekdays, and non business hours on weekends) Students/Children: $7.25; Adults $8.25. Minimum charge of $400 must be met for any private show reservation. Tax of 7.5% is applicable to private shows.
The Planetarium offers 3 different programs for visiting field trips: planetarium shows, science stage programs, and discovery classes (*discovery classes not available during summer months). Click the links to learn more about each category of program.
If you'd like some help narrowing down which programs will best suit your group - check out our teacher's guide on the right sidebar of this page to see grade level recommendations for all our programs, or feel free to give our reservations team a call/email at 919.962.1236 or email@example.com.
Most school groups see one planetarium show, and add on a science stage or discovery class as a second activity, but you're welcome to mix and match programs however you like.
Seating is limited in our venues:
- 210 seats for planetarium shows
- 74 seats for Science Stage shows
- 30 seats per classroom for Discovery Class (Two classrooms are available to accommodate a maximum of 60 students per hour)
For field trip reservations, it is Morehead’s policy to communicate directly with the school or group visiting in addition to the third party or charter operator. Please include the name of the school and a contact person at the school who we can copy on all email communications.
If a third party arranges a field trip visit, they are financially responsible for the visit, and payment is required two weeks in advance of the visit. "Third party" is defined as a company, organization or individual (charter operator, travel agent, etc.) who is not an employee of the school or group.
Priority Deadline: Monday, 9/16/19 @ 5:00PM.
Thorough the generous gifts of many donors, Morehead is able to offer field trip subsidies, or scholarships, to schools meeting certain criteria. Click here to learn more about what subsidy/scholarship programs we currently have and what the criteria are for each.
If you would like to request a scholarship for your reservation, you will be able to do so when you request your reservation using one of the request forms above, or if you have already booked a reservation and want to be considered for a scholarship, contact our Reservations Manager at 919.843.3522 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The due date to be considered for a scholarship is by 5PM, Monday 9/16/19. Requests received prior to this date will be evaluated at the same time based on level of need, geographic area, date of visit, and date the scholarship was requested. Requests received after the deadline will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis and will be added to wait-lists after those who requested prior to the deadline but did not receive an award.
When our reservations staff reviews your request, they evaluate your school for scholarship eligibility and inform you if you've been added to the wait lists. Then, starting on the week of the priority deadline, schools will be informed of their updated scholarship status. If your school is not awarded a scholarship due to insufficient funding, your request will remain on the waitlist should additional funds become available as other schools either cancel or don't use their entire awards - but since this is rare, we advise schools still on the waitlist after the priority deadline to plan as though no scholarship awards will be available for their visit.
Please note that there is never a penalty for canceling because a scholarship application can't be fulfilled. If you have already confirmed a reservation, and will no longer be able to visit due to a lack of scholarship funding, please contact the reservations office to cancel the visit.
Morehead does not coordinate lunch orders as an add-on for field trip groups, with the exception of schools receiving a Morehead scholarship with dedicated funds for lunch orders.
However, schools are welcome to place catered lunch orders with area vendors. Below is a list of lunch vendors who have expressed an interest in serving school field trips, and are able to deliver catered lunches on-site during your visit to Morehead. Please feel free to contact them for pricing and placing your order. Payments must be made directly to the vendor, and cannot be sent to Morehead. Payment policies vary by vendor.
All meals include an entree, bag of chips, cookie, and a drink.
201 Estes Dr. Spc 51,
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Manager: Sammy Culberson
Email: email@example.com (preferred)
Morehead is unable to guarantee delivery times or estimates for orders placed directly with vendors. However, we will have staff available to help receive, distribute, and store any catered lunches you order for your field trip.