Field trip groups have been visiting Morehead Planetarium and Science Center for more than 60 years. Morehead knows how to bring science to life, with exciting and inspiring planetarium shows, Science Stage shows and Discovery Classes.
Our programming aligns with North Carolina Essential Standards, ensuring that your field trip will enhance your classroom instruction. Morehead’s Guest Relations team works closely with you, so your field trip will be a great educational experience.
Reservations are required for ALL groups of 10 or more people.
- Complete one of the online request forms above to start the reservations process. You can request reservations for the below timeframes:
- Summer 2018 reservations: for visits from 6/9/18 - 8/26/18.
- Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 reservations: for visits from 9/17/18 - 5/3/19.
- We will be closed for renovation from Monday May 7 - mid/late June.
- Summer 2019 reservations will be available for request in late spring 2019. We do not anticiate being available for visits in May or June 2019 due to planned renovations.
Morehead's Reservations team will then contact you to discuss your reservation options and help complete your reservation.
You are welcome to call Morehead’s Reservations team at 919-962-1236 with any questions.
Our pricing has changed for the 2018-19 school year:
- First Program: Students/Children $6.25; Adults $7.25 (planetarium shows or Science Stage shows or Discovery Class). Prices are pre-tax.
- Multiple Program Discount: $4.00 per person (for each additional same day program) . Prices are pre-tax
- Tax: A tax of 7.5% for state and local sales & use for admissions is applicable to all tickets for planetarium shows only. Tickets for science stage programs or discovery classes are exempt from sales & use tax. Our reservations team can share the pricing/person with tax after your reservation has been booked.
- Children or adults included in a Morehead membership cannot use their membership benefits for admission during a school field trip or other group visit.
Every student and adult (educators, parents and bus drivers) in your group requires a ticket, and must be counted in your group reservation numbers. We provide one free adult ticket for every 10 students.
Groups that have requested their visit on or before 7/31/18 will continue to receive our previous pricing. Groups requesting for Summer 2018 will also continue to receive the previous pricing.
- Private Planetarium Shows:(only available after 4:30 PM on weekdays) Students/Children: $7.25; Adults $8.25; 1 free adult/10 students or children. Minimum charge of $400 must be met for any private show reservation. Tax of 7.5% is applicable to private shows.
Seating is limited in our venues:
- 220 seats for planetarium shows
- 75 seats for Science Stage shows
- 30 seats per classroom for Discovery Class (Two classrooms are available to accommodate a maximum of 60 students per hour)
* Exhibits are not open during field trip visits.
For field trip reservations, it is Morehead’s policy to communicate directly with the school or group visiting in addition to the third party or charter operator. Please include the name of the school and a contact person at the school who we can copy on all email communications.
If a third party arranges a field trip visit, they are financially responsible for the visit, and payment is required two weeks in advance of the visit. "Third party" is defined as a company, organization or individual (charter operator, travel agent, etc.) who is not an employee of the school or group.
Morehead does not coordinate lunch orders as an add-on for field trip groups, with the exception of schools receiving a Morehead scholarship with dedicated funds for lunch orders.
However, schools are welcome to place catered lunch orders with area vendors. Below is a list of lunch vendors who have expressed an interest in serving school field trips, and are able to deliver catered lunches on-site during your visit to Morehead. Please feel free to contact them for pricing and placing your order. Payments must be made directly to the vendor, and cannot be sent to Morehead. Payment policies vary by vendor.
201 Estes Dr. Spc 51,
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Manager: Sammy Culberson
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Morehead is unable to guarantee delivery times or estimates for orders placed directly with vendors. However, we will have staff available to help receive, distribute, and store any catered lunches you order for your field trip.
- 9 DOs and DON'Ts to make your field trip easier (PDF)
- FAQs for Chaperones (PDF)
- Teacher's Guide 2018-2019 (PDF)
- Gift Bag order form
If you are unable to download PDFs, please email email@example.com to request a copy.