SciMatch— for Middle Schools
a North Carolina Science Festival initiative
The SciMatch program connects middle school teachers in North Carolina with scientists and STEM professionals for classroom visits. The NCSciFest team pair teachers with and volunteers provide specialized communication training prior to the visit.
This year, scientists will visit classes in April, where they’ll speak with students about their backgrounds and research, and answer questions about their careers. The goal of each visit is to inspire students to consider science as a career and to understand how science impacts our lives.
- October 30: Deadline to apply
- November: Applications are reviewed and teacher/scientists are selected.
- December: Scientist and teacher orientation webinars.
- January: pairings are made. Teachers and scientists are notified of their match and begin communicating
- February and March: professional development webinars for teachers and scientists.
- April: Visits take place
- Post-visit survey completed within 1 week of visit
Applications for 2022/23 academic year are now closed.