Our Physical World
Morehead Planetarium & Science Center has developed specific COVID-19 Precautions required for this program, available at the link below. Before requesting a visit, please review these precautions. All scheduled visits will be required adhere to these precautions.
Flexible, portable programming for schools and special events
Request one of Morehead’s newest dual-functioning programs! Designed to serve audiences in outdoor and indoor spaces, the Our Physical World (OPW) enrichment program provides flexible programming for specific grades as well as the general public.
In an OPW program, a Morehead educator will guide your group through a unique activity that will explore STEM fields such as chemistry and physics, as well as coding and engineering design. Hands-on experiences will encourage your group to discover STEM through the power of curiosity.
Activities are NC education standards-aligned, recommended for specific grade levels, and may be adapted for high school students, after-school groups, as well as special events.
*This program is formerly known as Science On Your Street.
Our Physical World
For Grades K-12
Length: 60 minutes to 75 minutes
Maximum Participants: See the COVID-19 Safety Precautions for the Our Physical World Program
Maximum Sessions: Varies (please see “fees” section)
Could your students use a jolt of energy? This lesson provides a broad overview of all ten types of energy, including the distinction between kinetic and potential energies. Let’s journey together to discover what energy is, the various forms it can take, and how humans can make use of it all! Students will go through activities and challenges, including understanding how their bodies convert chemical energy into movement. Older students will engage in a more in-depth exploration of the same concepts and also make connections to the Law of Conservation of Energy.
Grade Level Recommendation: Grades 3-8
Let’s get familiar with physics! The laws of physics impact everything around us. Students will learn about force and motion, inertia and other concepts from Newton’s Laws before applying this knowledge to roller coasters, rocket balloons, and more! Older students will delve further into applications of forces and Newton’s Laws and extend their connections to potential and kinetic energies.
Grade Level Recommendation: Grades K-1, 3, 5, 7
Crazy chemistry abounds as students learn more about the phases of matter and all that they are capable of. Students will focus their attention on physical and chemical changes through a mix of guided and interactive experiments, including creating a vacuum, dissolving solids in liquids, and producing neon light!
Grade Level Recommendation: Grades 2-3, 5-6, 8
- One-day visit: $300
- Maximum number of sessions: 3
- Session Length: 75 minutes – 90 minutes
- Each additional, consecutive day: $150 per day
- Maximum participants: See the COVID-19 Safety Precautions for the Our Physical World Program, page 3, #6 & 7, for details.
Scholarship assistance is available pending qualifications.
- Sites within 90 miles of Chapel Hill: $50 per day
- Sites more than 90 miles from Chapel Hill: $200 per day
- All travel fees are calculated using Google Maps.
- Because of COVID-19 safety precautions, this program requires an outdoor space that can accommodate a visit, including in poor weather (e.g. rain, extreme heat), and the ability to create social distancing between students and the MPSC educator. If activities are completed inside, the program space must include more than one window to increase ventilation throughout the room and the door must remain open during each session. The room must be larger than a traditional classroom to help increase distancing.
Visits canceled two weeks prior to visit date are eligible for a refund of fees. Visits canceled less than two weeks prior to visit date are not eligible for a refund of fees.
Morehead may waive this policy if the visit is canceled due to school closure for inclement weather, fire or other emergency condition.