Commitment to Inclusion
Commitment to Inclusion
As a key contributor to educational excellence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), we understand our responsibility to create programming that meets the needs of the communities we serve. We believe that diverse and inclusive practices benefit us all by fostering a welcoming experience.
- We believe in creating a culture that values and respects differences, and recognize that identities take many forms, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, and cultural background.
- We are committed to promoting inclusivity, accessibility, equity, and a sense of belonging for all members of our community.
- We work to ensure that everyone has equitable opportunities to participate in our events, activities, and programs.
We believe that everyone should be able to easily navigate our facilities and enjoy our programming. That’s why we are committed to making our experiences accessible and inclusive for all visitors.
- Onsite accessibility: We work to provide clear and intuitive wayfinding that considers the needs of all visitors, including those with visual, auditory, or mobility differences.
- Amplifying underrepresented voices: We are dedicated to offering programming and exhibits in multiple languages, as well as culture-specific initiatives that celebrate and honor the diverse histories, voices, and perspectives that make up our community. One such initiative is our Hidden No More program.
- Visitor feedback: We offer visitors an opportunity to share their experiences and ideas to identify needs and improvements.
We believe all audiences should be able to connect and engage with our programming. We work to increase access and deliver programming that welcomes communities across the state.
- Reach audiences through community influencers and schools
- We offer free summer camp programming to rural and underserved communities via the GSK Science in the Summer program.
- We work directly with school districts like Gates County – Saunders Science Scholars.
- We support Boys and Girls Clubs to produce programming and offer scholarship programs.
- We prioritize a robust school and camp scholarship program to support Title 1 schools.
- We produce the North Carolina Science Festival, highlighting science in the state through partnerships with local schools, educators, HBCUs, and community organizations. NCSciFest initiatives like Duke Energy Science Nights, SciMatch, STEMville Science Spectacular, and FUTURES ensure accessible programming across NC.
- Free and reduced-cost programming available to the public
We believe that diversity in backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences is a key driver of innovation and success, and we strive to create an environment where everyone feels respected, valued, and supported.
- IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) committee: Established in 2015, the committee serves to meet the organization’s inclusivity, diversity, equity, and accessibility goals. This group determines areas of opportunity to better connect with our visitors, partners, and employees, both in terms of participation access and visitor experience.
- Equity and Inclusion Specialist: We employ a full-time specialist who serves as the daily operations manager for Morehead’s equity and inclusion efforts and initiatives that serve our internal staff, external partners, and communities.
- Hiring and Professional Development
- We place diversity and inclusion at the forefront of hiring and onboarding processes, from requiring at least one IDEA member on each hiring committee to setting a foundation of belonging during onboarding, training, and professional development courses.
- Currently 1/3 of Morehead’s staff identifies as a member of the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) community (data regarding other identities and intersectionality is not yet available)
- To ensure retention and engagement, we work intentionally to survey staff experience and provide career growth opportunities.
Crystal Harden, EdD
Director of Program and Inclusion Initiatives
Chief Diversity Officer