Camp FAQ | Morehead Planetarium and Science Center
Home » Programs » Youth & Family Programs » Camp FAQ

Camp FAQ

Camper and counselor at Morehead's Summer Science Camp

Here is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, there is contact information at the bottom of the page.

More Info

Wayne Capps

Summer Camp Coordinator/Educator

Summer Science Camp FAQ

What should my child bring to camp each day?

Your child should bring:

  • Comfortable, closed-toed shoes
  • One snack for half-day campers, two for full-day campers
  • Lunch for full-day campers
  • Water bottle and hat/sunscreen for time outdoors
  • Warm shirt or lightweight jacket

Remember to label all belongings with the family name and phone number. Storage is available for bags with appropriate contents. Please keep ALL communication and entertainment devices at home.

Will my child play outside?

Except during severe weather (which includes thunderstorms, extreme heat and Ozone Alert days), each day will include outdoor activity time. We recommend sending a hat and/or sunscreen for protection.

Will my child do any arts and crafts during camp?

Yes, we feel that there are many ways of learning about science, including through the arts. We will integrate music, literary traditions and visual arts when appropriate.

Will my child be behind if he or she misses a day of camp?

Many of our camps build on knowledge from past days. However, we understand that some campers may have illnesses or obligations that cause them to miss camp time. We will do our best to keep all campers up to speed.

Who will be teaching my child?

We are fortunate to be a part of a rigorous academic environment in UNC-Chapel Hill. We select undergraduate and graduate students with backgrounds in science and education to serve as counselors. Many of these counselors also work at Morehead throughout the year, giving school shows and developing curriculum-based educational tools. All of our counselors are trained extensively through a proven program designed by Morehead Director of Education and Planning Denise Young .

What's the process for dropping off and picking up my child each day?

Drop-off and pick-up activities for camp sessions are conducted in a safe area of the site and are supervised by camp staff.

All camp parents are invited to attend a Camp Open House in late May or early June (Morehead will email details, including date and time, to camp parents in May). During the Camp Open House, Morehead staff members will guide parents completely through the drop-off and pick-up process at each site. for parents who are unable to attend the Camp Open House, Morehead will provide detailed instructions.

As an important safety measure, Morehead will only release campers at pick-up to authorized persons. As part of the Camp Contract (emailed to camp parents after registration), you may authorize up to three people who may pick up your camper with the presentation of valid identification. The contract also requires your contact information so we can contact you in the event that an unauthorized individual arrives to pick up your child.

What does my child do during extended care times?

Campers are supervised by counselors during extended care times, and their activities depend on their interests. Tabletop games (Connect Four, Jenga), active games (Tag, Four Square) and toy-based play (Frisbee, Hula Hoop) are popular activities with Morehead campers during extended care. If temperature and weather conditions permit, campers play outside during extended care.

What happens if there are disciplinary issues at camp?

We rarely experience serious disciplinary issues and keep campers thoroughly engaged to maximize learning and minimize "acting out." We will handle discipline issues on a case-by-case basis. Talking with campers is our first response; "time out" is utilized when necessary. We will relay all discipline issues to parents as they occur and will work in partnership with families to develop effective solutions.

What happens if a child is injured at camp?

Each camper’s Medical Release Form authorizes Red Cross certified Morehead staff members to administer first aid. In case of emergency, camp staff will obtain care at UNC Hospitals and contact the child's parents.

May I visit during camp?

We encourage parents to visit only during the lunch period, if the child is enrolled in both morning and afternoon camps and is participating in lunch care. This helps us keep each camper focused on his or her camp activities.

Should you need to visit with your child during camp, please notify the Morehead camp office first. Because camp activities are in various locations (classrooms, planetarium dome, outdoor play areas), the camp staff will help you locate your child quickly.

How many children are in each camp session?

If your child is enrolled in a camp for Grades K-1, each session has 16 campers, two counselors and at least one teen volunteer to assist the counselors.

The SciVentures program also serves 16 campers in each session, with two counselors and additional instructors for special topics.

All other camps have 18 campers with two counselors in each session. In some of these camp sessions, a teen volunteer assists the counselors.

When is the last day I can register my child for a camp session?

On the Tuesday before the first day of the camp session.

Can I pay registration fees in installments?

Morehead does not have a formal installment plan. However, if you register before the initial deadline (please see the "Fees" page for this information), you may pay your total camp fee in several different payments. Your first payment, which must be paid at the time of registration, is a $50 deposit (per camp) to reserve your child's spot. The complete balance must be paid by the final deadline (again, listed on the "Fees" page).

If my child is attending only a morning camp or an afternoon camp, can I still register for lunch care?

No. Lunch care is only for campers who are attending camp all day.

If I'm a member, am I guaranteed space in the camp of my choice?

Only members at the Lunar Level and above are guaranteed space, as long as they complete "concierge registration" by the designated date.

However, all Morehead members are guaranteed priority registration -- a "members only" registration period that opens at least one week before registration opens for nonmembers.

Space is available within each camp until all of the camp's spots have been filled, in this order: concierge registration, early registration, general public registration. Morehead cannot guarantee that all members will have space in all camps of their choice because there may be more members who want to reserve spots in a camp than the number of open spots in that camp (for example, if 20 members want spots in a camp that can serve only 16 children).

My child is academically gifted. Can he or she attend a camp listed for older children?

Child development is a major consideration in creating our programs. Our camps are designed to provide age-appropriate educational content and social interaction. We have also taken into consideration that many children who attend specialized camps come with great interest and knowledge in scientific topics. Given our experiences and our emphasis on age- and developmentally-appropriate programs, we do not accept younger children into programs for older students.

My child has a learning disability or other special needs. Will he or she be able to participate in the camp program?

We pride ourselves on catering to the educational needs of each child who visits Morehead and are happy to talk with you about your camper’s needs. We prefer to know about all needs before camp begins to assist with planning and staff training. We ask you to provide detailed information about special needs on the Health and Safety Survey portion of the Camp Contract. If you feel a need to coordinate with us in addition to this form, please contact the camp coordinator at and indicate you have special camp needs in the subject line. You may also call the camp office directly at 919-843-7334.

My child takes daily medication. Can you help administer it?

The Medicine Administration Consent Form in your Camp Contract affords you the chance to provide detailed instructions. ALL medication MUST be kept in Morehead offices and administered by the camp coordinator. These policies include ALL over-the-counter drugs as well as prescribed medication.

Does a doctor need to fill out  my child's health and safety form?

No. The child's parent or guardian can fill out this form and return it to Morehead.

What's the Federal Tax ID number for Morehead Planetarium and Science Center?

Morehead's Federal Tax ID number is 566001393.

Camp Contact Information

Camp Office 
(camp registration, forms, payments, special needs)

Membership Office 
(priority registration, discounts and other member benefits)

Guest Relations Office
(general questions about Morehead)