Middle schoolers! Ever wanted to investigate the science of robots, get your hands dirty dissecting a shark or learn more about what makes you unique? Morehead's Middle School Science Club (MSSC) gives you the opportunity to explore all kinds of scientific interests with lots of hands-on adventures.
Join MSSC and you’ll soon be designing experiments, meeting real scientists, taking one-of-a-kind field trips and talking with cool guest speakers. The best part? Club activities are created to focus on YOUR interests.
Club members have toured UNC’s fluids lab, made self-carving pumpkins, created "Rube Goldberg" machines and extracted DNA. What will we do next? You decide!
- Each section is capped at 24 students.
- Three Morehead educators lead each section.
- A snack is provided at each meeting, along with a pizza party at the last meeting.
- Meetings are held at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center.
- Fall 2016: Oct. 1, Oct. 15, Nov. 12, Dec. 3, Dec. 17
- Spring 2017: Jan. 21, Feb. 4, Feb. 18, March 4, March 25, April 8
Meetings are scheduled on Saturdays, 2:30–5 p.m.
Registration and Fees
Club dues cover all meetings during the school year. There is no option to register for individual meetings.
- Members: $250 (Learn more about Morehead membership.)
- Non-members: $290
Dues include all materials for most activities. If specialized materials or transportation are required for a specific activity -- this is rare but possible, depending on the activities that club members choose -- there may be an additional charge for that specific activity. If an additional charge is necessary for a specific activity, club members and parents will receive advance notification.
Parents must register club members and complete required forms in advance of the first club meeting. You may register online now or contact the Morehead Programs Office for more information.
Morehead Programs Office