Ready for science after school? Your child can enjoy afternoons at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center participating in our exciting, hands-on Morehead Afterschool Program (MAP). Located on UNC's campus, this quality program fuels the natural inclination of K-5 children to explore and discover the world around them.
Designed to foster a lifelong love of science, MAP is one of a kind. We’ve incorporated elements of Morehead’s incredibly successful summer camps with components of the best afterschool programs. We explore different topics and themes, all relating to discovery, invention and imagination. We offer age-appropriate programming developed around monthly themes relating to exciting science topics, including astronomy, chemistry, physics, biology, energy and robotics. And of course, we create a warm, nurturing environment where your child can make friends and have fun.
MAP currently serves children from eight schools:
- Mary Scroggs Elementary
- Northside Elementary
- Carrboro Elementary
- Ephesus Road Elementary
- Frank Porter Graham Elementary
- McDougle Elementary
- Morris Grove Elementary
- Seawell Elementary
As part of our “Green Commitment,” Morehead educators meet students at their schools at dismissal and travel with them to Morehead via Chapel Hill Transit. This supervised door-to-door service is provided free of additional charge.
- Ages: K-5 grade. Children are divided into age-appropriate groups.
- Location: MAP is at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center (Directions)
Registration and Fees
- Registration: Online only
- Registration charge: A nonrefundable charge of $155 per child is due upon registration. This includes $75 registration and materials fee and the $80 tuition payment for August (MAP is offered only one week in August).
- Monthly tuition: $320
You may pay for the entire year in advance during registration or pay month-to-month through an automatic charge to your credit card on file (applied on the first day of the month). If more than two children from the same family enroll in MAP, the third child (and each additional child) will receive a 30-percent discount on all MAP fees.
After registering your child, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a contract.
MAP follows the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School's calendar, and does not operate when school is not in session. For 2018-2019, the program runs from August 28, 2018 to June 13, 2019. For 2019-2020, the program runs from August 27, 2019 to June 12, 2020.
Typical Daily Schedule
- 3:15–4:00 p.m. | Arrival at Morehead and outside activity, weather permitting
- 4:00–4:15 p.m. | Snack
- 4:15–5:00 p.m. | Science Activity
- 5:00–5:30 p.m. | Storytime, quiet play, and/or homework help (depending on age)
- 5:30–5:45 p.m. | Pick up
- MAP models “green behavior” for the children. We want this program to be as environmentally-sensitive as possible and to teach our children by example.
- Public transportation is used to pick up the children.
- Program materials and supplies are recycled and/or re-used whenever possible.
- Healthy snacks are provided.
We maintain a 10:1 ration of children to staff.
MAP is designed and directed by experienced science educators and staffed by UNC science, education and related majors who are dedicated to sharing science with children. We also take advantage of our location on the UNC campus by engaging with world-class UNC faculty, touring campus labs and visiting UNC’s cultural resources.